Another of the world’s notable nudist beaches.
St Germain sur Ay nudist beach, Manche, Normandy NW France
St-Germain-sur-Ay offers an incredible fine white gently shelving sandy beach, with warm waters making it perfect for nudist families.
St Germain is on the west coast of the Cotentin Peninsula. The “mother-of-pearl coast”, as it is called, is characterised by vast, empty sandy beaches, rolling dunes, wild, windblown headlands and huge skies. Inland, its salt marshes have protected it from over development.
St Germain is directly opposite the island of Jersey, which protects it from the wildest Atlantic weather and whose climate it shares.
- Take the D650 south from Cherbourg for approx 50 km
- Just west of St Germain sur Ay, turn left onto the D306 towards the village of St Germain sur Ay Plage. (approx 2.5 kms)
- At the village turn left along La Rue de Bretagne,
- The beach is at the end of the road. There is a designated car park.
Nearest rail / air links
Railway: Portbail (7.51mi, 12.08km)
Airport: Aéroport de Cherbourg Maupertus (29.45mi, 47.39km)
None on the nudist beach itself, but the village contains the usual amenities.
Official nudist beach
Authorized by local bylaw of 1999.01.05 and managed by the Club “Saint Germain Naturisme”
Who goes there:
- Mostly families attracted by the safe beach, but the majority don’t go nudist.
- Attracts lots of visitors in good weather.
- Just recently, some reports of gawkers.
Other nearby attractions:
- The historic city of Cherbourg
- Mont Saint Michel - a spectacular World Heritage site and the second largest attraction in France after the Eiffel Tower.
- · Normandy Landings beaches:
- · The city of Bayeaux and The Bayeaux Tapestry:
- Ferries to Jersey run from both nearby Portbail and Carteret in season
- Local Market at St Germain sur Ay : Thursday and Sunday morning in season.
- The annual Holy Cross Fair at Lessay On the second weekend in September every year the population of 2,000 is swollen to over 400,000 by visitors to the annual Holy Cross Fair. The Champ de Foire at Lessay, for those three days, becomes the biggest shop in Europe with over 1500 stalls on the 32 acre site.
Dogs are allowed on the nudist beach.
Suitable for the infirm or disabled.
There is good shopping in St-Germain-sur-Ay,
A peach of a beach! Its fine white gently-shelving sandy beach, warm waters , quiet location, good choice of accommodation and wealth of nearby places of historic interest make St Germain a perfect place for a family nudist beach holiday.
Although popular with french families it is surprisingly little known out side of France, especially given its proximity to the UK. Go there now, before it gets “discovered!”
Do you know this nudist beach? Please help us help the nudist community and make any helpful additions or corrections.